Call 305.728.7116

Consular Process

Who can file for Consular Process?

Consular processing is similar to adjustment of status, except you are applying at the U.S. Department of State consulate, generally in your country of birth. Just as with adjustment of status, consular processing generally requires an approved petition from a family member or employer. Consular Processing is generally used by beneficiaries outside the United States or beneficiaries inside the United States who are ineligible to adjust status without first exiting the United States.

If a petition filed by a family member or employer is approved and the person is outside the United States or is required to consular process, notice of the petition approval will be sent to the National Visa Center. The National Visa Center will request fees and schedule an interview at the consulate. If the visa application is approved, a visa will be issued and a green card upon entry.

If you have an approved petition from a family member or an employee and are unsure if you are required to consular process, it is highly recommended that you seek the advise of an experienced immigration attorney. Dorsett Immigration Law has experience with every step of the consular process. Contact us now for your free consultation.