Call 305.728.7116

Family Petition (I-130)

Who can file a Family Petition?

A United States citizen or Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) may be able to petition their family members for visas. The two types of visas are Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas and Family Preference Immigrant Visas. The type of visa depends on the status of the petitioner and the relationship of the petitioner and beneficiary.

Types of family relationships that may be petitioned for:

  • Spouses
  • Children (under and over 21 years old)
  • Parents
  • Siblings

In addition to the above relationships, certain spouses and children of the person being petitioned for may benefit from the petition.

In many instances, the family petition is the first step in the immigration process. It is important to file a petition as soon as possible, as the timing may affect the availability of relief now or in the future.

If you want to petition for a family member, an immigration lawyer may be able to assist you. Our firm understands how important it is for you to be reunited with relatives or to start their process if inside the United States. Hiring an immigration attorney and starting the process correctly can lead to a faster and easier process in the future. Dorsett Immigration Law is experienced and available to assist you in the start of your process. Contact us now for your free consultation.