Call 305.728.7116

Non-Academic Students (M1 Visa)

If you want to study in a vocational or other nonacademic programs, other than language training, you will need a M-1 visa. M-1 visa holders for technical and vocational programs are not permitted to work during the course of their studies. The M-1 student visa applicants must have evidence that sufficient funds are immediately available to pay all tuition and living costs for the entire period of intended stay. Further, your program must have a goal and you must be involved in a "full course of study". A full course of study means study in a community or junior college, with at least 12 semester or quarter hours. It must be in a school where anyone attending for at least 12 semester or quarter hours is charged full tuition, or considered full-time. The only exception is where you need a smaller course-load to complete your course of study.

Different universities have different admission policies. Your university will inform you what they need from you in order to determine that you are academically eligible.

If you want to study in the United States or you want your family member to go to school in the United States, an immigration lawyer may be able to assist you. Hiring an immigration attorney and starting the process correctly can lead to a faster and easier process in the future. Dorsett Immigration Law is experienced and available to assist you in the start of your application. Contact us now for your free consultation.