Call 305.728.7116

Special Immigrant Juvenile (I-360)

Immigration created the SIJ program is to help foreign children in the United States who have been abused, abandoned, or neglected. If you are a minor in the United States and have been abused, abandoned, or neglected by your parents, you may be eligible for Special Immigrant Juvenile status. The first step in the Special Immigrant Juvenile process is an order from a state court in the United States deciding:

  • You are a dependent of the court or to legally place you with a state agency, a private agency, or a private person and
  • It is not in your best interests to return to your home country (or the country you last lived in) and
  • You cannot be reunited with a parent because of ANY of the following:
    • Abuse
    • Abandonment
    • Neglect
    • Similar reason under state law

Once you receive this order from the proper state court you may apply for Special Immigrant Juvenile status if:

  • You are under 21 years old on the filing date
  • Your state court order must be in effect on the filing date
  • You cannot be married, both when you file your application and when USCIS makes a decision on your application
  • You must be inside the United States at the time of filing

If you believe you are eligible to apply for Special Immigrant Juvenile status, it is recommended you consult with an experienced immigration attorney. Contact Dorsett Immigration Law today for your free consultation.